Monday 26 March 2012

Hand Sewn Superhero Capes

Hi Everyone!

 I know it's a bit early to start thinking about children's Christmas gifts, but I just couldn't help myself! There was a big moving sale at a fabric store downtown this week and it was too good to pass up. Plus, I felt like doing some creative stuff from my Pinterest list.


 This week, I'm making some superhero capes for three little boys. The best part is they are reversible! One side is Superman and the other is Batman. I'm still debating on making little pink capes for the girls or something else completely that they would like.

These we're relatively simple to make. I tried using a borrowed sewing machine, but just gave up when I couldn't figure out how to set the damn thing up! So, hand sewn using the back stitch was the route I went! I did do a bit of slip stitch for the hole where the head goes through. All I used what some black and red fabric with some yellow and black felt. I used really nice fabric which ended up costing me a bit more but I think it's worth it. I also used some interfacing to give the cape a bit more thickness and weight.

 I decided to sew on the yellow background first to the cape and then the black bat directly onto the cape for added security. 
I love the look of the back stitch sewn on the logos.

Here is my work in progress. 

 Here's a finished cape!
I find the hole to be a bit big so I scaled it down a bit for the next two capes. 

I realized this past trip to the textile store that I'm absolutely in love with it! The possibilities of all the things you can create I find super exciting. Just be careful when you head in, it can be an expensive shopping trip as things add up. So, bring a list and have fun!

Till next time!

Eros And Pookie

No comments:

Post a Comment